At Home and Un-wrapped (on Christmas): Post semester Blog

Anne Coughenour
default blog image with travel icons on a blue background

Well, I’ve been home for over a week now and today is Christmas Day. So Merry Christmas all! My sleep schedule is still all wacky. I don’t know it I would say I’m jet lagged, but everything is a bit weird regardless of what word you want to use. I start feeling tired around 1 or 2 pm and some days I get so tired I feel sick by around 8 or 9 pm. I know I just need more time to adjust, but it really is not a fun way to spend my first bit of time back home. However I am managing and people are patient with me.

It was so good to see everyone from back home. My boyfriend picked me up at that airport, it was wonderful. I god home two days before our one-year anniversary. And of course, seeing my parents again, all my friends from home, and also my kitty cat was so wonderful as well! I didn’t realize just how much I missed my own bed until I was in it again. So cozy and comfy, ugh I love it. I still sleep like a rock every single night. I’m also awake and ready to go by 7 or 8 am, just so long as I get to bed at a decent time the night before.

It’s being weirder adjusting back to America and English that I thought it was going to be. I have caught myself accidentally speaking French when trying to say something quick to someone and also forgetting words in English, being left with only the French equivalent. I also am very forgetful and distractible, but I think that’s more due to my residual jet lag or whatever it is. I really hope I snap back into reality soon. It’s very frustrating when I forget my train of thought or …. You know…. Stuff like all that.

I’m picking myself up and getting ready for next semester already. Double checking my schedule, making arrangements for my cat at school, discussing room decoration ideas, and all that fun stuff. I am deeply thankful for everything I learned in my time in Paris. I learned not only academically, but I also learned a lot about myself. I won’t be missing Paris or France for a while. I’m still really enjoying being back in my home, in my town, in my country. But I know that one of these days I’m going to wake up and surprise myself with nostalgic feelings for my time in Paris and in Europe in general. I know that eventually I’ll wish to be back and to travel more, but for right now I’m very happy where I am. It is time for a new adventure, but one in the United States… and maybe one that is a bit less grand and crazy as living an ocean away in a foreign country for school. Regardless it will be a wonderful adventure and I can’t wait to get started on it. Allons-y!