Letter to My Host Mother // Galápagos Islands

a headshot of Anna holding her dog
Anna Sverclova

Dear Glenda,

For our last day together, I’ve been looking back on the last three months we’ve shared. In this letter, I want to tell you all the things I haven’t had the Spanish to say.

When I first came to San Cristóbal, the thing I was most nervous for was living with a host family. The last time I was in a Spanish class was in high school, and I was terrified that I would look rude, or stupid, or painfully slow. I was dreading the inevitable awkward silences, the blank stares. I had never been to a place for more than a week where I didn’t speak the language, and I certainly had never lived anywhere where I couldn’t communicate smoothly. The day I arrived, I spent all morning reciting in my head, “Hola, me llamo Anna, mucho gusto,” preparing myself to meet you. I had no idea what to expect, and I felt critically underprepared.

We met for the first time just outside the doors of the school, and I was immediately welcomed in by your smile, so bright it consumed your whole face. I remember when we left in the taxi, how I watched the town fly past, and all I could think to say was “hace buen tiempo hoy.” How do you say, this is the bluest, clearest sky? The brightest sun? After years of long winter, how do I express just how awestruck I am by the air? I remember being so silent, and you just smiled. I didn’t know what to say, and you seemed not to care. You had done this before. That was a relief. You were kinder than I ever imagined. You brought me inside, and we sat down for our first dinner together. I was nervous, but you had an energy about you that was calming and knowing. I immediately felt at home with you. At dinner, we talked mostly with our hands, and I was surprised at how easy it was to connect with each other despite the language barrier. I want to thank you for starting out slow, for helping me when I didn’t know how to say what I wanted to say to you.

You have always been so patient with me, from the first night we walked the Malecón and all I could say was “¡super bonito!,” to times we went to the gym together and I didn’t know the word for “legs,” to the long-winded stories I recount to you in broken Spanish over dinner. You have always been here with me, listening intently, watching. Thank you for repeating yourself 2, 3, 4 times. Thank you for always meeting me where I am, for helping me to understand you. Thank you for helping me find the words I’m always searching for. From the first day to the last, you have been so careful and concerned, making sure I have eaten, that I am doing well. 

When I came on this program, I didn’t expect to find a mother in you. When you told me on the first day that I was part of the family now, I didn’t realize how much you truly meant it.

Until now, I have never belonged to a family that sat down together for meals. The last few months have been like a TV show, the family all crowding around for dinner. Thank you, especially, for dinner. I have never felt so loved as I do every day when I come home to you in the kitchen, smashing plantains, asking me all about what I did that day. Thank you for the hours you’ve spent with me at the table, teaching me new words and telling me all about life in the Galápagos. And, of course, thank you for the food. I could list off every decadent food I discovered at your table, but it would take up more pages than I have to write. My favorites have been michas and chifles and seco de pollo, yucca and melloco. Fruits, granadilla and guaba, so different than any fruit I’ve ever known. Thank you for always giving me new food to try. I always know the food I get at home will be better than a restaurant. As you say, there is more love in a smaller pot.

Thank you for all the love you have fed me this warm winter. Thank you for the ensaladas y menestra y jugos y carne deliciosa. Thank you for machica, for frutas, for arroz (y menos arroz).

Thank you for all of the ways you care for me: thank you for always letting me use your red water bottle when I’m going on a journey. Thank you for washing my clothes. Thank you for hand-pinning my laundry up on the line. Thank you for sitting with me at breakfast, even when I’m a little late to wake.

Thank you for bringing me up to your family’s finca. Thank you for showing me the place you grew up, and all of the beautiful things that grow there. Thank you for bringing me to Puerto Chino, and making my friends and I lunch on the beach. Thank you for always welcoming my friends into your house, especially Emmy, and thank you for caring about them as much as you care about me. Thank you for bearing through all of our enfermas.

I want to thank you, most of all, for the times you’ve taken me to the hospital. Thank you for dropping everything at once to stay home and take care of me. Thank you for the soup you cooked for me when I couldn’t eat anything else. Thank you for holding my hand in the waiting room, for checking in on me all night, for bringing me my medications and reminding me to take them. You were there for me when I needed you most, just like a real mother. I am crying writing this. I love you, Glenda. Thank you for being my mother.

With all the love in the world,

Anna

Querida Glenda,

Para nuestro último día juntos, he estado recordando los últimos tres meses que hemos compartido. En esta carta, quiero contarte todas las cosas que no he tenido el español para decir.

Cuando llegué por primera vez a San Cristóbal, lo que más nerviosa me ponía era vivir con una familia anfitriona. La última vez que estuve en una clase de español fue en escuela secundaria, y me aterraba la idea de parecer maleducada, o estúpida, o dolorosamente lenta. Temía los inevitables silencios incómodos, las miradas vacías. Nunca había estado en un lugar durante más de una semana en el que no hablara el idioma y, desde luego, nunca había vivido en un lugar en el que no pudiera comunicarme sin problemas. El día que llegué, me pasé toda la mañana recitando en mi cabeza: "Hola, me llamo Anna, mucho gusto", preparándome para conocerla. No tenía ni idea de qué esperar, y me sentí críticamente mal preparada.

Nos encontramos por primera vez a las puertas de la escuela, y enseguida me dió una bienvenida con tu sonrisa, tan brillante que consumía toda tu cara. Recuerdo que cuando nos fuimos en el taxi, vi pasar la ciudad volando, y lo único que se me ocurrió decir fue "hace buen tiempo hoy". ¿Cómo se dice, es el cielo más azul y claro? ¿El sol más brillante? Después de años de largo invierno, ¿cómo expresar lo asombrado que estoy por el aire? Recuerdo que estaba muy callado, y tú sólo sonreías. No sabía qué decir, y a ti parecía no importarte. Ya habías hecho esto antes. Eso fue un alivio. Fuiste más amable de lo que nunca imaginé. Me llevaste dentro y nos sentamos para nuestra primera cena juntos. Estaba nerviosa, pero tenías una energía que me tranquilizaba y me hacía sentir bien. Enseguida me sentí como en casa. Durante la cena, hablabamos sobre todo con las manos, y me sorprendió lo fácil que fue conectar con el otro a pesar de la barrera del idioma. Quiero darte las gracias por empezar despacio, por ayudarme cuando no sabía cómo decir lo que quería decirte.

Siempre has tenido mucha paciencia conmigo, desde la primera noche que paseamos por el Malecón y todo lo que pude decir fue "¡super bonito!", hasta las veces que fuimos juntos al gimnasio y no sabía la palabra "piernas", pasando por las largas historias que te contaba en un español roto durante la cena. Siempre has estado aquí conmigo, escuchando atentamente, observando. Gracias por repetirte 2, 3, 4 veces. Gracias por encontrarme siempre donde estoy, por ayudarme a entenderte. Gracias por ayudarme a encontrar las palabras que siempre busco. Desde el primer día hasta el último, has estado tan atento y preocupado, asegurándote de que he comido, de que estoy bien. 

Cuando entré en este programa, no esperaba encontrar una madre en ti. Cuando me dijiste el primer día que ahora era parte de su familia, no me di cuenta de lo mucho que querías decir.

Hasta ahora, nunca había pertenecido a una familia que se sentara junta a comer. Los últimos meses han sido como un programa de televisión, toda la familia reunida para cenar. Gracias, especialmente, por la cena. Nunca me he sentido tan querido como cada día cuando llego a casa y te encuentro en la cocina, aplastando plátanos, preguntándome todo lo que he hecho ese día. Gracias por las horas que has pasado conmigo en la mesa, enseñándome nuevas palabras y contándome todo sobre su vida en los Galápagos. Y, por supuesto, gracias por la comida. Podría enumerar todas las comidas decadentes que he descubierto en tu mesa, pero ocuparía más páginas de las que tengo para escribir. Mis favoritos han sido las michas y los chifles y el seco de pollo, la yuca y el melloco. Las frutas, la granadilla y la guaba, tan diferentes a cualquier fruta que haya conocido. Gracias por darme siempre nuevos alimentos para probar. Siempre sé que la comida que me dan en casa será mejor que la de un restaurante. Como dices, hay más amor en una olla más pequeña.

Gracias por todo el amor que me has dado este cálido invierno. Gracias por las ensaladas y menestra y jugos y carne deliciosa. Gracias por la machica, por las frutas, por el arroz (y menos arroz).

Gracias por todas las formas en que me cuidas: gracias por dejarme siempre usar tu botella de agua roja cuando voy de viaje. Gracias por lavar mi ropa. Gracias por tender a mano mi ropa en el tendedero. Gracias por sentarte conmigo en el desayuno, incluso cuando me despierto un poco tarde.

Gracias por llevarme a la finca de tu familia. Gracias por mostrarme el lugar donde creciste, y todas las cosas hermosas que crecen allí. Gracias por traerme a Puerto Chino, y hacer que mis amigos y yo almorcemos en la playa. Gracias por acoger siempre a mis amigos en tu casa, especialmente a Emmy, y gracias por preocuparte por ellos tanto como por mí. Gracias por soportar todas durante nuestras enfermas.

Quiero agradecerte, sobre todo, las veces que me has llevado al hospital. Gracias por dejar todo de golpe para quedarte en casa y cuidarme. Gracias por la sopa que me cocinaste cuando no podía comer nada más. Gracias por cogerme la mano en la sala de espera en el hospital, por estar pendiente de mí toda la noche, por traerme mis medicamentos y recordarme que los tomara. Estuviste ahí para mí cuando más te necesitaba, como una madre de verdad. Estoy llorando al escribir esto. Te quiero, Glenda. Gracias por ser mi madre.

Con todo el amor del mundo,

Anna

a headshot of Anna holding her dog

Anna Sverclova

My name is Anna Šverclová. I'm a published poet and creative writing major at Macalester College. I love exploring the world around me. You can almost always find me digging in the mud by the river, journal in my back pocket. My writing focuses on my relationship with the world, childhood trauma, and my hometown. I write both for the page and for performance. You can find me at annasverclova.com

Macalester College
Anoka, Minnesota
Creative Writing
Women's Studies