Wednesdays in Dublin

Rachel Thompson

Ask most people which is their favorite day of the week and you’ll likely hear a chorus of Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and perhaps Sundays.

But I think Wednesdays take the cake.

It certainly wasn’t always that way, but since I’ve been in Dublin, Wednesday has manifested itself as a day of exploration and whims.  My internship is with Dublin City FM, which means flexible hours and opportunities to work on an evening show on Wednesdays.  I’ve tried to take advantage of my free Wednesdays and explore the parts of the city that I can’t on the days I have a normal work schedule.

Some Wednesdays are mellow.  My first Wednesday was spent jogging beside the Grand Canal and planting myself on the grass to read Hemingway.

Some Wednesdays are educational. One Wednesday I went to the National Gallery downtown to see the likes of Picasso, Caravaggio and other lauded European artists, then made my way to the Chester Beatty library to see religious scripts and ancient book bindings.  Another included marveling at the architecture of Christ Church Cathedral downtown.

The view outside the Chester Beatty library, Dublin

Some Wednesdays are filled with food and drink.  Last Wednesday I toured the Jameson Distillery; on another I treated myself to a delectable apple crumble at the Queen of Tarts Cafe.

Queen of Tarts Cafe, Dublin

Some Wednesdays involve a bit of travel around the city.  This Wednesday, I hopped on the Dart to go to Howth, a lovely little seaside town in Dublin county.

Howth harbor, County Dublin

Each Wednesday has been different, each unique.  I’ve come to love the adventurous nature of Wednesdays and the opportunities I’ve had to explore Dublin.  Wednesdays have allowed me to see more of the city on my own and gain a surer sense of direction.  Each has left me with a new experience I wouldn’t have otherwise had.

And the anticipation of what next Wednesday will bring.