Academic Travel: Singapore (1)

Natalie Lau

This is the Singapore Management University. We had various lectures at this university. Most of the city’s greenery is similar to this campus building.

We learned much about the history and culture of Singapore – we took a video tour and had so much fun in the air conditioned building!

We spent this past week in Singapore. While we had to attend a few lectures and a few academic visits to various educational institutions, we also had a ton of fun! Visiting Singapore was definitely a well-deserved break from the cold and pollution. I’ve decided to split this post into two entries because there’s just simply too many photos to share! Here we go:

Prior to our visit to the Sultan Mosque, we had to make sure to wear appropriate attire and cover our shoulders. Despite our respect for Muslim rules, we were dying in the heat!

Following the mosque, we walked across the street to a small (and thankfully) air conditioned heritage center.

While some IES students ventured around Singapore’s Chinatown, we found a large Hindu Temple. It was very interesting to see these decorations and the culture within the temple.

This parliament house was very much similar to that of UK’s. Of course, because there was prior British rule here. It was very interesting to see a smaller version of Parliament here in a South eastern Asian country.

Our tour around the Marina Barrage explained the process of desalination in Singapore.

So that is pretty much the academic section of our spring break in Singapore. I thoroughly enjoyed all the sites we visited because now, I have a better understanding of Singapore and its economy as well as its history.