Just Keep Swimming

Inci Askin

It’s about to be a week since break was over. Classes are up and running and I still can’t get break out of my head. Not because it was break and I didn’t have to read or do work for classes but because it was the best trip I’ve taken in my life. Words can’t do it justice, but I’m going to try anyways.

We took off to Cairns on Saturday morning and arrived to our accommodation, Gilligan’s, around 6 PM. We had a dinner planned for our huge IES group. The coach bus arrived and took us to Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. We witnessed aboriginal dancing and got to learn more about the indigenous people. After the dancing, a buffet style dinner was served and it was absolutely delicious. Near the end of the dinner the dancers took to the stage again and started teaching us songs. I was singing along, bobbing my head, clapping, and minding my own business when I saw a hand reach out in front of me. Before I knew it, I was pulled onto stage and was being taught the dance right there. Just my luck. After my attempt at their native dances I was given an award, a protection stone.

The next day was a free day so my friends and I decided to go white water rafting and it was incredibly awesome. We had a blast and made it back in time to go out with our group to a nice fancy dinner. The day after that was most definitely my favorite day in the history of days because we got to go on a boat that took us to The Great Barrier Reef. It just doesn’t get any better than that. From 8 AM till 5 Pm I would be on a boat in the middle of the coral sea. I got to snorkel three different parts of the reef. I saw a giant clam, sea turtles, many small fish, a big fish named Nigel, and a reef shark! The whole time I was there I couldn’t fathom the idea that I was actually in Nemo’s home!

The next two days were spent at Cape Tribulation. We went to the Daintree Rainforest and I got a chance to zip line upside down through it. On the way, we also made a stop at the Wildlife Habitat where I got to hug a koala! The best part about it was that the trainer who was holding Sam the koala told me that Sam liked me! She said she could always tell when Koalas like someone and Sam took a liking to me. I was okay with that. Since Sam warmed up to me, I was allowed to pet his back. Yay!

The whole trip was incredible and every minute was filled with exciting moments that I will never ever forget.