‘Twas the Night Before London

Chase Wheaton-Werle

It’s come down to the last hours before my flight. I’ve pulled off some pretty impressive magic tricks to fit everything I need into my two suitcases and I have all my travel documents assembled and ready, and all that stands between me and my flight is a few long hours’ wait. I feel so caffeinated with excitement, that I imagine I’ll be getting as much sleep tonight as a kid on Christmas Eve. Just knowing that by this time tomorrow I won’t be in this country has me all jittery.

I got the idea for a Bucket List from another IES blogger, and I thought I’d come up with my own. I think having a list of what you want to get from your study abroad experience is a good way to keep you focused and goal-oriented so you don’t spend your spare time in your dorm on the computer.

So in keeping with the Christmas motif, I’ve dubbed this list “The Twelve Goals of London”

1. See David Tennant in Richard II
  2. Watch a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre
  3. Spend an afternoon at Covent Garden
  4. Have dinner at an Indian Restaurant (apparently, they’re supposed to be really good)
  5. Visit the British Natural History Museum
  6. Sample authentic fish and chips
  7. Ride the Eye
  8. Throw a Halloween party (they don’t celebrate it as much across the pond as they do here, but that’s not going to stop me)
  9. Visit the National Theatre Bookstore
  10. Attend a Guy Fawkes Day celebration (now that holiday actually IS a big deal in England)
  11. Take a double decker bus tour
  12. Visit Big Ben (you know, the must-see’s)

The list will no doubt expand once I’ve arrived, but I think that’ll serve as a starting point.

Also since this will be my first international travel experience I’m going to be taking copious notes of the events for my next blog for future students who, like me, have no idea what to expect from a trip like this. Till then, I’ll be counting the minutes.

Chase Wheaton-Werle

<p><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">My name is Chase Wheaton-Werle. I&#39;m a musical theatre major from the University of Tulsa. Outside of my major, I enjoy creative writing and poetry. In the fall of 2013 I&#39;m attending Mountview Academy for the Theatre Arts. This will be my first experience out of the country, and as someone with a passion for theatre and British culture, I couldn&#39;t ask for a better destination. I hope this blog can provide not only some insight to the intensive curriculum of an actor in the theatre center of the world, but also some good chuckles.</span></p>

University of Tulsa
Drama