Dublin, I Love You

Beatrice Gantzer

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and the city knows it. There are explosions of pink cards in every corner store, massive displays in the window of Butlers Chocolates, and happy couples blocking traffic on every sidewalk.

(I could do without that last one.)

Yes, love is in the air, even if the last thing I kissed was the Blarney Stone. I’m in the middle of a full-blown romance with Dublin, and I’m not even sure when it began…

It might’ve been the first time I looked down during an evening beach run with Trinity’s running club and realized that the crunching under my feet was tiny seashells (I’m from the Midwest, this is exciting for me).

It could have been on the bus to Glendalough that first weekend, gaping at sheep and stone walls and impossibly green grass. Or when we arrived to mist and ruins.

They say that love is about the everyday things, so maybe it was just the flush of competence the first time I managed to bag my groceries at Dunnes before getting in the next customer’s way.

But who am I kidding, I fell for Dublin the moment I reeled jet-lagged out of the airport, felt the sun on my face, and accidentally tried to climb into the driver’s seat of the taxi.

I love you, Dublin. Happy Valentine’s Day!