Packed Weekend Part 2: Community Service

Allen Chen

Sunday | September 24th 2017 | Setagaya

The day after, IES Abroad Tokyo planned a Community Service event in partnership with St. Mary’s International School in Tokyo. This event was focused on helping kids diagnosed with Down Syndrome. As a result, we had a super fun field day filled with various athletic activities in order to encourage physical activity and exercise. We separated into different teams by color and had friendly soccer games. It was the workout I definitely needed after all the delicious Japanese food I’ve been eating since my arrival. It was also just a great change of pace from daily life ever since school started. Between classes, my field placement (future post!), and just general Tokyo outings, getting to connect with children, and their families, brought me so much joy. Instead of buying materialistic things, constantly snapping pictures on my phone, or just eating too much, the community service event allowed me to be fully present in the moment. I had to use all the Japanese I could muster to communicate with the kids, and it was great to see their happiness and excitement. Although it’s too early to tell, this might take the cake for being my favorite moment in Japan!