After 25 years, Dr. Barbara Gügold will be retiring as Center Director of the IES Abroad Berlin Center at the end of 2016. Dr. Gügold helped to found the IES Abroad Berlin in association with Humboldt-University Berlin, where she was a member of the faculty.
In the Center’s early years, it was housed in a building off Unter den Linden that had once been the headquarters of the Socialist Unity Party, the ruling party in the German Democratic Republic. Several years after the founding of the program, Dr. Gügold successfully negotiated the transfer of the Center to its present headquarters on Johannisstrasse in the Mitte area in heart of the city, right behind the main building of Humboldt-University, adjacent to Berlin’s Museum Island, and a short distance from the Brandenburg Gate and the German Parliament.
We are grateful for Barbara's many contributions to IES Abroad, including:
- Opening the Berlin Language and Area Studies Program in 1992.
- Starting the Berlin Metropolitan Studies Program in 2008.
- Building a strong relationship with Humboldt-University, and other universities and colleges in Berlin.
- Starting part-time internships for semester students and launching the IES Internships Summer Internship Program in Berlin.
- Creating the new 12 for 12 for 12 International Affairs & Securities Studies Program, which begins this fall.
- Encouraging more than 140 Berlin alumni to participate in the Fulbright program in Germany and Austria.
Dr. Gügold is on the boards of the Berlin Checkpoint Charlie Foundation and the Institute for the Didactics of Intercultural Acting. She also served as a member of the Frontiers editorial board for many years.
Please join us in thanking Dr. Gügold for her many years of leadership of IES Abroad Berlin!
Learn more about all of our semester and summer programs in Berlin here.