Now into the second semester of our partnership with Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV), IES Abroad Rio de Janeiro students are enjoying not only the courses at this prestigious school, but also the modern, vibrant environment—their new building was designed by famous Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer.
As one of Brazil’s most reputable universities (both in the fields of education and public policy), FGV's mission is to push the boundaries of knowledge in social sciences and related fields, and to contribute to the country's social and economic development through coursework, research, and sharing of information. Their departments and various think tanks also give the economic indicators for the whole country.
IES Abroad students can take English and Portuguese-taught courses (based on their Portuguese or Spanish fluency) in the Economics and Law departments.
Our students have taken the following courses:
- CM 3330 Internet and Telecommunications Law
- EC 3000 Game Theory
- EC 3100 Economic History I
- EC 3400 Economic History of Brazil
- EC 3560 Introduction to Dynamic Methods for Economics and Finance
- FI 3000 Investments
- FI 3850 Principles of Corporate Finance for Utilities
- LW 3200 Favela: Law, Marginalization and Development
- LW 3330 Crime and Society
We’re also excited that FGV is our first partner institution in Brazil who will be sending Brazilian students to our Summer Scholars program at Loyola University Chicago.
Learn more about our study abroad programs in Rio!