36 Hours in Milan

Kinsey Drake

My favorite column in the New York Times (and therefore all print journalism) is the 36 hours travel column. It’s brought me to incredible tortellini in Modena, fascinating museums in London, and some of the best views in Barcelona. However, its fault lies in its glamour—the restaurants and activities tend to run out of the range of a student budget. With that in mind, here is my personally curated and researched guide for 36 hours in Milan, Italy for study abroad students and young travelers.

Friday

Fondazione Prada | 3pm

Take a look at the modern, suggestive art in the Prada museum. After taking a walk through all of the exhibits, stop into Bar Luce, a café designed by Wes Anderson, for a coffee and a sweet treat.

Maya at the Navigli | 7pm

The Navigli, or canals, in Milan is a lively neighborhood to have dinner and meet up with friends. Head to an affordable and generous meal at Maya for an unlimited buffet of dinner foods for only 10 euros, complete with a chocolate fountain.

Saturday

Breakfast at Bar Magenta | 9 am

Pop into the historic Bar Magenta near Largo Ancona for a cappuccino and a brioche (aka a croissant) for just over 2 euros at the counter and admire the art-deco interior.

Il dito | 9:30 am

Walk along Via Meraviglio to Il dito, Maurizio Cattelan’s provocative hand statue in front of the Borsa Italiana in Piazza Affari.

Il Duomo | 10 am

Head to the iconic Duomo and walk up the older stone stairs for a trip on the top of the cathedral. The line can take a while but the view and experience is well worth the wait.

Lunch at Luini | 1pm

Grab a to-go lunch at Luini, Milan’s traditional street food restaurant tucked just behind the Galleria. Try two different Panzerotti (fried calzones) for a delicious and affordable lunch. Afterwards, walk through the Galleria and admire all of the beautiful architecture and shops.

Pinacoteca di Brera | 2pm

Brera’s Pinacoteca is chock-full of Renaissance paintings, including numerous Caravaggio’s. Built into an old palace, it’s well worth the visit.

Parco Sempione | 5pm

Take a sunset walk through Parco Sempione for a look at Arco della Pace and the Castello Sforeszco. Relax on a park bench and enjoy the scenery and people-watching.

Dinner at Piz | 8pm

Walk to Piz, just off of Via Torino, for dinner. This lively and warm pizza place boasts a simple menu with delicious and affordable pizzas. Every patron is greeted with a small pizza snack before sitting down, so don’t worry if you have to wait a bit for a table.

Sunday

Breakfast at Pavé | 9am

Enjoy a tasty pastry and coffee at Pavé for breakfast, followed by a walk around the public gardens near Porta Venezia.

Cimitero Monumentale | 10am

Take a walk through Milan’s beautiful cemetary. You’ll see graves of all the famous Milanese families and the covered passageways at the beginning are not to be missed.

Lunch at Pane E Vita | 1pm

Before heading out of Milan, grab one last carb-filled meal in the form of focaccia at Pane E Vita near Cadorna. A generous slice of focaccia or two for lunch will run you just under five euros.

Kinsey Drake

<p>Kinsey is a Biochemistry major and Italian minor from Tufts University near Boston, MA studying in Milan for Fall 2016. Everything she does is to learn more about food; catch her studying cheese microbes by day and reading cookbooks by night. She caught the travel bug the minute she tasted her first crepe in Paris way back in 2006, and hasn&#39;t looked back since.</p>

Tufts University
Biological Chemistry