Menu

Blogs by Program Location

Oxford - Fall 2016

Scott Abrams is an English Literature major at the University of Rochester and is attending Oxford through IES Abroad Direct Enrollment in the fall semester of 2016. His favorite things include warm woolen mittens and celebrity Twitter feuds. He hopes you won't judge him too harshly.

Gustavus Adolphus College
Barcelona - Fall 2016

My name is Torin Anderson and I am a junior English major at Gustavus Adolphus College. I am involved in hockey and ultimate frisbee as well as the Gustavus Choir. Aside from making various painful puns, I enjoy writing just about anything, and will take any excuse to travel.

George Washington University, The
Berlin - Fall 2016

My name is Michelle, and I'm a junior from The George Washington University, where I study Sociology with a minor in Classics.  I'm looking forward to gaining a global perspective during my semester in Berlin and sharing it with others! At school I'm involved in student theater and community service, and I love to explore to DC with friends.

Sewanee - The University of the South
Siena - Fall 2016

I am a current junior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian at Sewanee: The University of the South. I am a proud member of Kappa Delta sorority, and am  a coxswain for Sewanee's crew team. In my free time, I enjoy kayaking, reading, going for runs, and playing with my dogs.

Gustavus Adolphus College
Christchurch - Fall 2016

Hi there, I'm Sarah! I've lived in the midwest my whole life (moving around between Wisconsin and Minnesota). I'm a junior at Gustavus Adolphus College, and am pursuing a major in Geology, and a possible minor in Sociology and Anthropology. I play rugby, sing in the choir, and am in love with travelling and seeing what this great wide world has to offer me!

University of Florida
Dublin - Fall 2016

Hello, I’m Christena, a 4th-year journalism student at the University of Florida, who has decided to spend a semester experiencing the wonders of Dublin, Ireland. I am passionate about traveling, food, reading, writing and experiencing new and beautiful cultures. I’m a 21-year-old with a thirst for knowledge and adventure, and I’m excited to share all that I find abroad! Happy readings and a jolly good day to you!

Occidental College
Freiburg - Fall 2016

Hello!  My name is Zach and I am so happy you are here!  I grew up in Tucson, Arizona, and am currently a Junior at Occidental College, where I am double-majoring in History and International Relations.  I'm fascinated by the connections between the past and the present, and the role that history plays in modern diplomacy.  Be sure to keep up with my travels as I explore Freiburg and the European Union this semester!

Furman University
Sydney - Fall 2016

Hi! I’m Libby Deasy and this is my personal blog about the do’s & don’ts in Sydney, Australia. There is a first time for everything, so join me on my study abroad adventures in the life down under!

Tulane University of Louisiana
Rome - Fall 2016

Until college, I took French and Spanish classes. Now, I'm a Political Science/Italian major at Tulane University. My time there has convinced me that New Orleans is the greatest city in the world, but I'm thrilled for Rome to try and change my mind. I'm a cannoli aficionado but I'm also serious about exercise- I work at a gym (as a lifeguard)! I like hiking, photography, cooking, surfing, and reading. I'm excited to share my semester abroad with you!

Skidmore College
Auckland - Fall 2016

Kia Ora! My name is Renato Dornelas, and I am an international student from Brazil at Skidmore College, studying abroad at the University of Auckland, in New Zealand. At Skidmore I am an International Affairs major and a Media & Film minor. Some of my interests and passions are cinema and hollywood, social media, photography and Thai food. Follow my blog if you like adventures, exciting videos, and first-hand information from a unique study abroad program!

Tufts University
Milan - Fall 2016

Kinsey is a Biochemistry major and Italian minor from Tufts University near Boston, MA studying in Milan for Fall 2016. Everything she does is to learn more about food; catch her studying cheese microbes by day and reading cookbooks by night. She caught the travel bug the minute she tasted her first crepe in Paris way back in 2006, and hasn't looked back since.

University of Redlands
Paris - Fall 2016

Bonjour! My name is Julia Carrington and I am so beyond excited to be sharing this little part of my life story with you. This is going to be my first time out of the country and on my own and I can't wait to see what happens. I hope you join me on this adventure and enjoy reading my little online travel journal.

Santa Clara University
Madrid - Fall 2016

Hi! My name is Andrea, but everyone calls me Andie. I go to Santa Clara University for Bioengineering and am dedicated to sustainable living and environmental studies. Besides my research on campus, my passions include playing soccer (or should I say fútbol) and ultimate frisbee. I obsess over chocolate and sweets and my even sweeter dog Stanley back home in Mesa, Arizona. This fall I am going on an adventure in Madrid where I will attempt to communicate with the locals, go on a quest for the best desserts in Spain, and absorb an entirely different culture - follow along during my studies, but mostly fun, as I capture the unique essence of Spain!

University of Colorado - Boulder
Nice - Fall 2016

My name is Lee Foden and I am a journalism student at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Born in Maine, I love the ocean and am looking forward to spending my time by the Mediterranean next semester! I am taking a break from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and headed to the rocky beaches of Nice, France. Follow my blog to stay up to date with all of my European adventures!

University of Massachusetts - Amherst
Amsterdam - Fall 2016

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction" 

Leading a dangerously caffeine dependent life and learning as much as I can wherever I go.  

University of Massachusetts Amherst ---> University of Amsterdam 

University of Redlands
Nantes - Fall 2016

Hi! My name is Suzan Frierson and I'm a junior at the University of Redlands. I'm a Creative Writing major and French minor, and the language inspired me to study abroad in Nantes. I love traveling, writing, and going on adventures.

Cornell University
Galápagos Islands - Fall 2016

Hi there all! My name Julian Garcia and I was proudly born and raised in San Antonio, Texas. I am in my senior year at Cornell University studying International Agriculture and Rural Development with interests in sustainable cropping systems and economic development. In my free time, you can find me hiking in the Adirondacks, spelunking 100 feet underground in a cave, trying to cook up something tasty, or reading a Hemingway novel. I hope you enjoy the blog!

Madrid - Fall 2016

Mariah is a free-spirited adventurer from the University of Rochester. She spends much of her free time either planning her travels around the world or travelling.  Wherever she is Mariah enjoys trying new foods, singing the wrong words to music, and exploring with friends. Her favorite part of the week is when she faces the crowds for fresh food and great deals from open air markets; in her opinion, bargaining is a universal language.

Brandeis University
Milan - Spring 2017, Milan - Fall 2016

Abigail is our 2016-17 IES Abroad Blogger of the Year! Abigail studies Economics and International Studies with a minor in Business Administration at Brandeis University—where she is also an IES Abroad Ambassador. As a Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 Blogger, Abigail illustrated her year abroad in Milan through her insightful posts and candid photography that navigated her growth in the historical city of Milan. 

Santa Clara University
Paris - Fall 2016

Hello! My name is Alex and I am originally from Colima, Mexico, the fourth smallest state in Mexico. I moved to California when I was four and have switched between the two places throughout my life. I have been surrounded by palm trees and good weather my entire life and now I will be in Paris, with 50° weather and not a palm tree in sight and I honestly couldn't be more excited. I cannot wait to explore the unknown territory and immerse myself in the diverse culture that exists in Paris, all while enjoying the sights, the people, and of course, the food!

Western Washington University
Vienna - Fall 2016

My name is Katie Holdcroft and I am a junior at Western Washington University. I am originally from Seattle Washington, but was raised on the Big Island of Hawaii. I enjoy sarcasm, making music on my ukulele, reading books that make you think, and writing about the strangeness of strangers. I like coffee slightly more than people, and cats slightly more than coffee. Traveling is my passion and my inspiration to be content with all that there is to be, but mostly I do it to look cool on social media.

Rabat - Fall 2016

Hi! I'm Cayt and I study anthropology and French at Penn State. I'm studying abroad to further my education and I'm here to share my experiences with anyone who wants to read them.

American University
London - Fall 2016

Global nomad. Lover of sunshine and the outdoors. Foodie. I'm a senior at American University in Washington D.C where I'm studying International Relations with a specialization in Global Health and Environmental Sustainability. When I'm not studying or working I'm usually planning my future travels or cuddling with the nearest dog. Join me on my journey to prove that the sun does indeed shine in the City of Old Smoke!

University of Portland
Nantes - Fall 2016

Hello everyone! My name is Sarina and I from California but attend the University of Portland. I am currently studying Organizational Communications and French. I love to explore new places, whether that be a new country or a new coffee shop. Additionally, I love all things Disney and Harry Potter related and I am known for occasionally bursting out into song (especially camp songs). 

Vienna - Fall 2016

Hi, my name is Jenny Koo and I am a junior studying Cello Performance at Indiana University, Jacobs School of Music.  I am here in Vienna, Austria studying music for the Fall term of 2016.  I am here to share my experience here along with my passion for media/taking pictures to hopefully help others out there.

Mount Holyoke College
Nagoya - Fall 2016

Hi, I'm Millie! I'm a Southern California native currently studying Critical Social Thought and Asian Pacific American Studies at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts. I love film, art history, and the Food Network - join me as I eat my way across Japan (and hopefully learn some things along the way).

George Washington University, The
Barcelona - Fall 2016

Hey everyone! My name is Jennifer Li and I’m originally from Johannesburg, South Africa. After my ½ birthday my family moved to Hong Kong & before I turned 2 we moved to Los Angeles, California. I’m currently at the George Washington University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in marketing. I’m so stoked to be studying in Barcelona this Fall!!! Follow me on this blog to see my upcoming adventures through photographs and videos!

Wofford College
Santiago - Fall 2016

Hi! I am an observant incandescent light bulb. I may seem dim idle, but I am constantly taking everything in. At times I flare up from the stimulus I receive from my surrounding environment.  I try to capture these unique moments through the sharp opening and closing of my camera's shutter by a mere click of a button. I use these captured images to give meaning to that moment and connect it to me, life, our world and the things and people that fill it. Won't you join me in putting this world into perspective?

Pomona College
Salamanca - Fall 2016

I'm a third year college student excited about seeing everything this amazing planet has to offer. Originally from Oregon, I've slowly been finding my place in the world through travels throughout North America, China, and now Europe! I hope this blog offers advice, inspiration, and a bit of humor for any current and future travelers.

Gettysburg College
Salamanca - Fall 2016

I’m a 20 year old student attending Gettysburg College where I study English with a focus on writing and Spanish. I come from a big, close-knit Italian family, am in love with reading and writing, and am always open to new experiences. I hope to be as creative as possible in everything I do and can't wait to find influence from my semester in Salamanca!

Loyola University Chicago
Rabat - Fall 2016

Hello! I'm Sarah Miyahara; originally Southern born, California raised, Chicago educated, and now Morocco living! Taking a break from life at Loyola University Chicago where I study International Studies, Political Science, and Peace Studies, to spend my first semester of my junior year abroad. I've always loved photography, particularly because it's the only art I've ever been good at, and now I can't wait to share my photos with you!

Franklin & Marshall College
Tokyo - Fall 2016

Emi Okikawa escaped from Oahu, Hawaii by hiding in the cargo hull of a plane headed for the East Coast.  She was last seen at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, PA. Recent rumors have surfaced about her being set loose in Tokyo. Be advised, the suspect has been spotted eating her weight in Japanese pastries and sitting in animal cafés for multiple hours a day.

Case Western Reserve University
Buenos Aires - Fall 2016

I am Maria Oldenburg, and I'm a sophomore Economics and International Studies double major at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. On campus, you can find me pretending to be a professional photographer, exploring the local coffee scene, or hopelessly planning my dream backpacking trip across Southeast Asia. Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I can't wait to eat my weight in empanadas, learn quality puns in Spanish, and tango with the best of them during my semester in Buenos Aires!

University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Freiburg - Fall 2016

Hi everyone! I’m Nathan Outlan, a double major in Supply Chain and Marketing with a minor in Sustainability at The University of Tennessee. Follow my 4-month journey through pictures as I photograph my travels in Freiburg and all around Europe.

Barcelona - Fall 2016

Hi! My name is Chirlien and I am a native New Yorker, going to school at the at the University of Rochester. While I am a science student, I also really enjoy writing, photography,and journalism. I am so excited to be studying abroad in Barcelona this fall. Come with me on this journey as I try to learn the ropes of Barcelona's unique culture and people-hopefully I don't get too lost!

Lawrence University
Amsterdam - Fall 2016

Hello folks! I'm Shana, a small-town tree-hugger with a big appetite for experiences, culture, and knowledge. I'm an undergrad student of Psychology and Gender Studies, yearning to understand my surroundings better each day. Welcome to my conglomeration of ideas and passions, all nourished by traveling, friends, spinach, and coffee.

Gettysburg College
Cape Town - Fall 2016

My name is Claire. I am a thrill seeking millennial that is out to experience all the world has to offer. This blog will chronicle the greatest adventure of my life so far, a semester in Cape Town, South Africa. I have no idea what to expect, but my love for traveling and trying new things, as well as learning from the people around me has pushed me off the beaten path, and onto something completely new. Here's to the next six months of my life, I hope every moment is as unpredictable as I am.

Gettysburg College
Paris - Fall 2016

My name is Emma, and I am very excited to be studying abroad in Paris this fall! I am from Washington, DC and a student at Gettysburg College, where I am a psychology and French double major. I love to sing, play guitar and piano, and write songs. I am also passionate about writing and photography.

Universidad de Granada
Beijing - Fall 2016

21, from Southern Spain. Translation and Interpreting student in University of Granada. Now IES Abroad student. Currently living in Beijing and studying in Bei Wai University.  Passionate about books, poetry, cinema, good music and travelling. I believe I was born to travel the world while helping others.   'Not all who wander are lost'.

Catholic University of America
Quito - Fall 2016

I'm a junior Economics major with a Spanish minor at The Catholic University of America. I'm a bit of a sustainable economic development nerd, nothing gets me talking like the poverty cycle and discussing ways to build up a developing economy in a sustainable way. I got bitten by the travel bug a while back and am so psyched to explore all that Ecuador has to offer this fall semester!

Williams College
Tokyo - Fall 2016

Live every day to the fullest! I'm a proud Eph of Williams College, travelling around Tokyo and wherever else Japan may take me! I hope you'll stick around to see what I do, whether it's eating my weight in food or crying over my tests. Trust me, I'll be doing plenty of both.

Le Moyne College
London - Fall 2016

Hey everyone! I'm Kali from New York. I am a junior in marketing and communications at Le Moyne College in Syracuse, NY. You can find me at a local coffee shop or outside at a park admiring the views. This is my first overseas trip so I cannot wait to share the experience with you. You can expect posts such as typical tourist photos where I pose in front of a statue, photos of food (who doesn't love that?), and photos of me trying to get the princes attention on the way to class.

Wofford College
Dublin - Fall 2016

I am a reader, writer, and (theoretical) learner at Wofford College in the Upstate of South Carolina. I am a happy, short, Southerner in search of foreign things revealing familiar truths. I like surfing waves, and youtube. I am a future officer in the United States Army, hoping to see as much of the world as I can before I have to take life quite seriously. I think the best way to experience new cultures and people is to eat their food, drink their booze, and read their literature. My brother's name is Drew, and my parents are Lee and Danielle. They are everything.

Rome - Fall 2016

Ciao! My name is Courtney Thomas, Jr. and I am studying neuroeconomics and international relations at the University of Rochester. I collect shoes, love service, could not survive without music, and am into religion. — Many know that "curiosity kill the cat...," but not many know that "... satisfaction brought it back." I live to learn and enjoy sharing that satisfaction with those around me! Follow my blog and discover the world through the eyes of my lens.

Bowdoin College
Granada - Fall 2016

My name is Nicole von Wilczur, from Phoenix, Arizona. I'm a rising college junior attending Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. When I'm not studying, I enjoy fighting for social justice, being outdoors, photography, and learning to recite the lyrics to 90's and early 2000's rap songs. I've never traveled outside of the US, so I am very excited for the opportunity to be studying abroad in Granada, Spain, and sharing my experiences with you!

Purdue University
London - Fall 2016

My name is Nick and I am a student at Purdue University and always a kid at heart. I am a Chicago native who often times kept busy with sports, leading campus tours, classes (Yuck!), and daydreaming about the many places I hope to one day be able to visit. I grew up in the midwest, but I have always felt at home in the city. If not found in New York City fingers that I am, at that time, traveling the world.