Sydney is VIVID

2 Jun 2015
AUSTRALIAN SLANG OF THE WEEK: “ARE YOU INTERESTED?” (US) = “ARE YOU KEEN?” (AUS)   This past week I was lucky enough to partake in VIVID Sydney festivities in Sydney’s Circular Quay.      Before I arrived in Sydney, I did a little research on some of Australia’s most iconic events. VIVID Sydney happened to be on the top of every list that I found. The event, which takes place over the course of 3 weeks in  May to June, is surely something that anyone who lives in Sydney should not miss out on. I was grateful that I was able to attend especially since my time abroad is approaching to a rapid end ☹   Everything about the event was perfect. Walking around Circular Quay, as well as The Rocks and Darling Harbour was incredible. In every corner you turned, there was some sort of light installation that hundreds of people crowded around. Some of the buildings were hosting light shows that left me mesmerized. It’s amazing how much time and effort goes into producing these gorgeous light shows and installations to bring all of Sydney together; I give so much credit to the artists and technicians who’ve worked laboriously to give us entertainment and an appreciation for art.    My favorite light show however would have to be the one projected on the Sydney Opera House, of course. I’ve seen it from almost all angles now, and I have to say that I still can’t get enough.  Just the other day I was able to attend a concert outside of the Opera House during Vivid Sydney and watch one of my favorite artists of all time perform on stage. Not only was I able to cross off seeing this artist in person on my bucket list, but I was also able to say that I’ve seen a concert at the Opera House. Being surrounded by good people and my kind of music led up to become one of my favorite memories of my study abroad experience. I always get choked up when I even try to discuss leaving this city, but at least I’m spending my last few weeks creating memories I will never forget.   Below you’ll find some of the photos I took during Vivid! Next week, I will be exploring New Zealand during our Study Vacation or “Stuvac”, and enjoying the rest of the time I have left in Sydney. Time is ticking, but I hope to not waste a second. Cheers!