Melbourne Magic

18 May 2015

AUSTRALIAN SLANG OF THE WEEK: “FRIES” (US) = “CHIPS” (AUS)

To say that Melbourne is an incredible city would simply be an understatement. It’s quite possibly everything that I could ever look for in a city to live in. OK, maybe that’s stretching it a little, but I know for a fact that Melbourne will be a place that I will never forget.

Melbourne is one of those places that you have to see in person. Pictures will not do this magnificent city justice. I think my favorite part about Melbourne as a whole is that it’s a place filled with discovery. Hidden in every corner and every lane is something that’s waiting to be seen. Walk a few minutes down Flinders Street and discover one of the most interesting graffiti alleyways in the world, Hoiser Lane. You’ll find hundreds of pieces of artwork created by some pretty impressive artists. Each one is unique and unable to be compared to another. After you have been amazed by all the artwork, walk just a few minutes down to find Centre Place, a quirky little lane filled with bakeries, restaurants, and shops. Here you will be tempted to buy all of the delicious food sitting in front of you. Hundreds of people who are looking for a bite to eat during their lunch break are seen forming queues that seem to extend for miles; you want to get here as early as you can! I was lucky enough to try a “Melbourne Burger” with beetroots, fried egg, bacon, onion, lettuce and tomato that made my entire afternoon. Needless to say, my hunger was satisfied.

DSC_4620.JPG

(Hoiser Lane)

DSC_4624.JPG

(More Hoiser Lane)

DSC_4607.JPG

("Melbourne" Burger, I need this back in my life...)

I feel as if though the city embraces art in many aspects. Aside from Hoiser Lane, there are many places that appreciate the many forms and aesthetics of art through museums, exhibitions, festivals, etc. Take a walk through Melbourne’s Central Business District and you’ll find elegant architecture and sculptures that will have you mesmerized. As a student who is pursuing arts, I cannot help but feel as if though the city promotes creativity in its truest form.

Melbourne is different from Sydney not just in size but also by the atmosphere itself. I can’t quite form it into words, but Melbourne brings a different energy that establishes itself as a city unlike any I’ve ever visited before. After exploring a few of Melbourne’s suburbs, I was able to view the city from the 88th floor of the Eureka Tower; the Southern Hemisphere’s highest vantage point. It took less than 40 seconds for the lift to shoot us from the ground floor all the way up to the 88th floor. I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting myself into, but as soon as I was greeted by the view that awaited for me at the top, I knew I had made the right decision. The tower had a 360-degree view of the city that made Melbourne look like a dream. The busy streets infested with cars and people looked like ants now. In the distance we could see Melbourne’s Cricket Ground, and the Rod Laver Arena. The multiple bridges I had walked on earlier looked like figurines. I truly felt as if I were on top of the world. What made the experience ever greater was the fact that I got to watch the city transform late afternoon into night. One by one, each building became illuminated, gradually making the city glitter from above. I stood simply in awe at this breathtaking city that stretched out before me. I knew then that it would not be the last time I would visit Melbourne in my life.

DSC_4788.JPG

(View from the Eureka Tower)

DSC_4794.JPG

(The Beautiful City of Melbourne)

Other activities included visiting the famous Brighton Beach Huts on Brighton Beach, and driving the Great Ocean Road; a completely different entity from Melbourne itself that will be described in the next blog post! For now however, please enjoy some of the photos I was able to take during my weekend in the city. If you ever get the opportunity to visit this place, please make it your best interest to do so! Until then, Cheers mates! 

DSC_4536.JPG

(The famous Australian Hut at Brighton Beach!)

DSC_4603.JPG

(A busy Centre Place!)