5 Additional Essentials for Sydney (and other long journeys)

30 May 2014

Hi everyone! I love photography and will be taking tons of photographs to share along with stories and advice throughout my upcoming trip to Sydney.

I have been fortunate enough to go on some incredible trips in my life, and this two-month trip to Sydney will be the longest individual trip yet. Over my travels I’ve learned some things that I am bringing with me (some through suggestions, others through my own experiences and situations), that are not on the common and obvious packing list.

1. First off are a few photos of my family, dog, and close friends from back home. I’ll probably put these up on my wall or desk, and are nice to show new friends and fellow students my life back in the States.

2. List of addresses of family members. Because who doesn’t like getting a postcard or letter in the mail from halfway across the world? I’m sure it’ll put a smile on their faces.

3. Since I’m gone for so long I’ll be doing my own laundry, and so bringing a bag for dirty clothes is a must. Small mesh one works great, and take up barely any room in a suitcase.

4. I almost always travel with a pillow (one of the small super squishy ones). Roughly 23 hours of travel time to get to Sydney means I want to be as comfortable as possible.

5. Earplugs. Whether it is a noisy plane, a nightclub raging at 3am on a Tuesday or construction during a nap, earplugs might come in handy.

The photo of my dog I will be bringing

During the summer of 2000 I went to Australia for a family wedding, we were in Darwin and then Sydney. Unfortunately I barely remember the trip, and so I’m looking forward to creating and actually remembering memories from this summer!

1. Me in Australia summer 2000