A short weekend in Normandy

13 Oct 2017

The photos in the first half of this post were taken in Paris, prior to leaving for a short weekend trip to the Normandy region. I found it fitting to contrast the black and white photos taken in Paris with the color photos taken in the countryside and along the coast. There was something about the light in Normandy– perhaps the deep blues, juxtaposed against the muted earth-tones and the wide-open spaces– that compelled me to capture the images in full color. 

Being out in nature, in the small coastal village of Asnelles-sur–Mer, was incredible. While standing on the beach, looking out at the remains of the WWII-era artificial harbour built by the Allies after D-Day, one can't help but be in awe of the massive infrastructual project conceived by Winston Churchill. "How did they build that?" I kept asking myself. 

After doing some investigating I found out that they built the massive concrete structures in pieces in England, then towed them across the channel. After getting the pieces in place, they sunk old ships inside of them to weigh them down. It's crazy, I know, but it worked. 

If you wish to view the photos below in higher resolution, feel free to visit my portfolio: https://www.flickr.com/photos/maxamar-olkus/