An Introduction to Dublin and Trinity

I've been in Dublin for a little over a week, and I have the opportunity to see a variety of places around the city. The campus at Trinity College Dublin where I am studying is absolutely beautiful, and houses some of the finest architecture in Dublin. In addition, the Trinity College library boasts the Book of Kels, a ninth century rendition of the gospels. The Trinity College Library itself is also a huge tourist attraction, drawing many visitors who marvel at its long room shown below. I participated in the Trinity Semester Startup Programme in which I learned about the city of Dublin and its history, and got to go on two field trips: one, to the Abbey Theater in Dublin to see a show, and the other to the nearby seaside town of Wicklow and Glendalough Monastery. The program was very informative and interesting and provided a much deeper understanding of the culture of Dublin and Ireland. The biggest obversations I have about Dublin so far is the energy with which the city carries on day by day. The streets are bustling with people going about their day, but who won't hesitate to stop and help you if you're lost, and sometimes you don't even need to ask for help. I start classes tomorrow, and I will be taking Ireland in the 20th Century, Roman Art and Architecture, The Troubles 1968-98, and Making and Meaning in Irish Art. 

Dublin_Trinity Library_Markie Anderle.JPG

The Long Room in the library at Trinity College Dublin.

Dublin_Sunset on Liffey_Markie Anderle.JPG

A panoramic view of the sunset on the River Liffey that runs through the heart of Dublin.

Dublin_St. Stephen's Green_Markie Anderle.jpg

The entrance to St. Stephen's Green, a park near Grafton St in Dublin. 

Dublin_Trinity College_Markie Anderle.JPG

The entrance to Trinity College Dublin. 

Dublin_Purple Door_Markie Anderle.JPG

One of the characteristic brightly colored doors amid the brick and stone buidlings in Dublin. 

Dublin_Trinity College Square_Markie Anderle.JPG

One of the buildings on the other side of the entrance to Trinity College.