Kangaroo Island

14 Sep 2016

Hi everyone! 

Sorry it's been a while, I've been quite busy with schoolwork and because my parents have been in town! I was lucky enough to have them visit me all the way across the world. 

This weekend I decided to join my parents on their adventure to a place called Kangaroo Island. You probably haven't heard of it but this island is located off of the southern coast of Adelaide and is about the size of Long Island. It is an extremely remote and fascinating place because the population is only about 4,000. In order to preserve the natural wildlife, the government makes it very hard to live and visit here. 

To get there, we flew from Sydney to Adelaide and then took a small plane to the only airport on Kangaroo Island. After about a 10 hour travel day, we finally arrived at our hotel called the Southern Ocean Lodge. This boutique hotel only has 21 rooms so if you're lucky enough to reserve a room I definitely would! 

If you're interested in nature and wildlife, this would be the perfect place to visit. If you're more of a city person, I would probably choose somewhere else (like Melbourne). 

On our first day, we went on about a 2 hour hike along the cliffs. Although we got lost a handful of times, we eventually found the path and walked down to Hansen bay. It was a beautiful (but cold) hike. Later that afternoon we joined the Kangaroos and Canopy tour. This part of the day was very cool because we were able to see kangaroos in their natural habitat. Although we weren't able to touch them, we were able to get as close as 6 feet. We watched them graze the field, fight with eachother, and eat our leftover dinner! 

On our second day, we went to a nature reserve. Here we were able to see Koala’s and kangaroos in their natural habitat. Although we weren’t able to touch or hold the koalas, we were able to get within about 4 feet of them! After the sancuary, we visited the famous Admiarble Rocks and Seal Bay. Although it was raining during our time in seal bay, the seals were still out and about on the beach. We watched mother seals call for their babies, two teenage male seals fight, and several seals make their way into the ocean. Overall this was probably my favorite part of the trip because of the animal lover I am.

This weekend was so fun & relaxing and the perfect gettaway that I needed. If you ever get the chance to visit kangaroo island, make sure to do the cliff walk hike and wildlife sanctuary. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me!