12 Hours in Singapore

23 Sep 2016

Hi Everyone!

Sorry it’s been a while, I’ve been busy trying to prepare for my spring break excursion to Singapore and Japan! Although I have yet to spend a full day in Japan, I can give you a quick low down on my 12 hour stay in Singapore.

When we were booking flights for Tokyo, I realized that the only reasonably priced flight was one that connected in Singapore. Being the adventure-lover that I am, my friend Natasha and I decided to spend the day in Singapore and fly out to Tokyo that night. The flight to Singapore was around 8 hours but since it was overnight, it wasn’t too bad.

Anyways…. We (eventually) arrived at our hotel in Singapore around 1am. Since we were so exhausted from all of the traveling, Natasha and I headed straight to our room to get a good night of sleep before our journey began the following morning. We stayed at the Carlton Hotel in Singapore which was an extremely convenient location and not too expensive (I think around $200 USD per night).

When we woke up the next day, we quickly rushed out of our hotel room to explore the city. Although we didn’t have any tours planned, we wanted to make sure that we fit everything in. First, we took a 15-minute walk (keep in mind that us New Yorkers walk pretty fast) to Little India. We had done some research before coming and saw that Little India was a popular place for tourists to visit. There were shops and vendors lining the small little alley ways all throughout the neighbourhood. Although it was small and cute, we rushed through it in about 20 minutes because it smaller then we expected. Although it was a cool place to visit, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it unless you do have a few extra hours to spend exploring.

Next, we hauled down a Singaporean taxi to take us to Chinatown. Chinatown was very unique and had that hustle & bustle vibe you feel in big crowded cities. There were vendors lining every street with unique little knick knacks, homemade origami, and vibrant Chinese lanterns. After Natasha and I did a little shopping, we decided to explore the neighbourhoods surrounding China town. Although we didn’t know what to expect, this ended up being my favourite part of the day. Right around the corner (near a restaurant called Ding Dong) there was the cutest little neighbourhood with shops, restaurants, and coffee places. If you ever end up going to Singapore, I would definitely recommend this section of the city. At the end of the day, we actually decided to head back here to grab a quick bite to eat before our flight. Although I can’t remember the name of our restaurant, I promise that all of them are equally delicious. If you do go and try the restaurant called “Aloha Poke” please let me know how it is (I was dying to try it)!

Anyways, Singapore was an amazing city and something completely different then what I expected. The people there are so incredibly nice, you don’t have to worry about safety at any time of the day. I am currently en route to Tokyo, Japan so don’t forget to check back in about all of our adventures there!