WORLD CUP WEEKEND

22 Dec 2016

Many summers ago I travelled to Les Deux Alps for a ski training trip. Thanks to the glacier at high altitude, skiing was still possible — even in July! I really fell in love with France while I was here, and I consider the French Alps a large reason of why I wanted to spend a semester in France.

Since Colorado is having an abnormally dry start to winter, ski resorts have been pushing back opening days and Beaver Creek Resort had to cancel their annual World Cup ski race. The previous two winters (when I’ve been going school in Colorado), I have attending this World Cup race. It’s very exciting for me, but clearly not most of America, because the attendance of this World Cup race is roughly that of a popular high school football game. Alpine Ski Racing is so much more popular in Europe making world cup races much more fun and exciting to watch. 

The cancelled race in Colorado was moved to Val D’isére, in the French Alps!!! It was like they were moving this race to accommodate me! I took this as a sign that I needed to go! Even though Val D’isére is a ski resort in the French Alps, it wasn't exactly easy to get to. I logged some quality time on the train to get there, but it was beyond worth it. The American skiers did not do all that well but the French crowd was really fired up, especially after the French team put on such a great show after the first run. Four of the fastest five skiers were French that day, and it was incredible to witness that on French snow!

See for yourself... Enjoy!