3, 2, 1 .. Time’s Up

6 Jun 2013

From the moment I arrived in Sydney, I knew that there was going to come a day when I would have to leave. We all know all good things must come to an end and the end for this good thing has arrived. Just yesterday I was getting picked up at the airport, oh wait that was three and half months ago! Yesterday, was the IES Farewell Dinner. Housed in The Italian Village with a great location on The Rocks, it was time to say bye. We had all grown so close to not only each other but our program managers Beata and Thais as well. They have acted as our parents away from home.

After a short presentation from Thais stating that we have all gone through five changes, my mind was blown. It was evident that we had all changed, we just didn’t realize how much. I am proud to nominate myself as someone who has through maybe the most amount of change. I volunteer as tribute!

• Physically; I cut off all of my hair and became a vegetarian after a mishap with eating kangaroo meat. (an incredibly  touchy subject)
  • Socially; I made friends with amazing people who I know I will keep in contact with for sure.
  • Emotionally; I became aware that my family is my rock and if they’re not around to keep me sane, I tend to go a bit nuts.
  • Academically; I found out the hard way that professors here are no joke and the grading system is serious.
  • Financially; I spent money I didn’t have and learned to budget myself.

All in all, this study abroad trip had a colossal amount of effect on me and during the dinner I was hit hard by that reality. In the back of my mind I was always aware but chose not to acknowledge it. Soon, this was all going to end. Some days were rough and on other days I was hugging koalas. I just cannot believe my time is up.

I had an amazing time at the Farewell Dinner and can’t thank my program managers Thais and Beata enough!

Now, it’s time finish my papers. Time is passing by … tick, tick, tick!