21 years, 30 days, & Some Pi

15 Mar 2013

March 14th, 2013 was probably one of the most anticipated dates of my lifetime. The 14th, which is also Pi Day, marked the 30 days or in other words, 1 month that I have been in Sydney. It’s hard to believe that it has already been a month since I have begun my journey here in Australia. But, what was much more special about this day was that it was also my 21st birthday!

I have been imagining this day for ages, but I specifically remember thinking about it when I accepted my Study Abroad opportunity. Studying abroad would mean that I would have my birthday in a foreign country. It would mean that I would be giving up turning 21 in America! Would I even have friends to celebrate with? Especially a huge milestone like this one! Well, I had one of the most memorable birthdays of my life. I was surrounded by new friends and their kindness and generosity. It was bittersweet knowing that I was thousands of miles away from my family and friends back at home, but my birthday allowed me to see that I have a new family right here in Sydney.

In one month I was able to form amazing friendships with people that I know will last a long, long time.

G’day new mates! Cheers a.k.a. thank you!