Hidden Secrets

25 Sep 2014

My friend Jenn found this really awesome app that has “cultural tours” around Sydney. You choose a tour, it gives you a starting point, and you follow the app around Sydney almost like a scavenger hunt. It was such a cool experience following the app around to cool sculptures, statues, monuments, murals, and more! My favorite was an exhibit of sorts entitled “Forgotten Song”. In a small alley way there were 50 empty bird cages hanging from above honoring the 50 or so bird species pushed out by European settlers.

Other favorites of mine were a large golden link of chains representing the first European “settlers” i.e. the British convicts sent to Australia and a memorial honoring the women who served in World War 2.

Many of the destinations of our cultural tour were honoring soldiers which was interesting to see being that you don’t hear much of Australia’s contributions to and role in international conflict.

Overall it was an awesome experience and I plan to do many more tours in the near future :)