Vivid

What an electricity bill! It’s vivid! Vivid is Sydney’s festival of lights, celebrating the cities beautiful art and architecture, music, and ideas. Many parts of the city are featured including, of course, the Opera House and Darling Harbour Bridge. Last year, an estimated 500,000 people came to watch the light show and it’s quite an ordeal. For over 2 weeks, the 23rd of May to the 9th of June, lights are on from 6 until midnight. Part of George Street, the most prominent street in the Sydney, closes down and masses accumulate in the harbour enjoying the projections. Sydney Uni also decided to join the excitement and for the first time the big Harry Potter tower had lights of its own. On Friday night I went to watch the show at Uni and on Saturday I went to the harbour to see the Opera House.

I definitely have a beautiful campus! It’s such a simple idea and turns out so beautifully. It must be very hard and tedious work though, getting every detail right.
The Opera House, with its white tiles must be an easier surface to work with. Part of the show showed the process of building the Opera House, with sketching and putting up the tile. There was also one moment where you could see inside of the opera house. It was so well done.
I have been in Sydney for over 3 months now and can’t believe the Opera House is only 20 minutes away by bus. Seeing it always give me a “wow, I’m in Sydney” feeling. It’s easy to get stuck in the routine of school and forget that I’m half way across the world. It was a beautiful night.

My favorite!
butterflies