Internationalize your campus and bring valuable linguistic and cultural resources to your students through the IES Abroad International Student Assistantship Program!
This program connects U.S. universities with highly-qualified international students who are eager to share their native culture and language, act as study abroad resources, and study in the United States. Schools who are interested in participating in this no-cost program should send an information request to [email protected].
Interested students must be affiliated with one of the international partner universities listed at the end of this page. For information on the application process, students may contact [email protected].
How the Program Works
- Indicate the type of assistant that you are seeking by downloading, completing, and submitting a request form.
- Receive assistantship applications through IES Abroad.
- Select the candidates that best meet your needs and determine an award package.
- IES Abroad facilitates the final match.
Each university determines the exact parameters of its assistantships. However, most positions fit into one of the following three descriptions.
Language Department Assistant
- Act as resource for students in the language lab
- Organize cultural events for the department
- Coordinate administrative tasks for the department
- Prepare classroom lessons or activities
- Lead students in language lab conversation sessions
- Review student papers and exams
Foreign Language Resident Assistant
- Promote conscientious everyday use of foreign language among residents
- Organize cultural events for residents
- Act as resource for language learners in the community
Each university determines an award package for its assistants. A typical package covers the costs associated with tuition, room and board, and insurance. In addition, most packages also offer a small stipend.
International Partner Universities
- Albert-Ludwigs Universität Freiburg
- Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Institut Catholique de Paris
- Instituto de Enseñanza Superior en Lenguas Vivas "Juan R. Fernandez" (Buenos Aires)
- Pädagogische Hochschule Ludwigsburg (Freiburg)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador (Quito)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Universidad de Granada
- Universidad de Salamanca
- Universidad Pontifica de Salamanca
- Universidad San Francisco de Quito
- Université Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Milan)
- Université degli Studi di Siena
- Université de Nantes
- Université de Paris IV- Sorbonne
- Université Paris VIII