Studying or interning abroad changed you, but how did you change the world?
Global citizenship takes on many forms – whether you were a mentor to local children, conducted research, or supported a local cause, we want to know how your experience has inspired you to do good while you were abroad, and at home.
Application & Deadline
Applications will be accepted through Sunday, January 14, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Use the Global Citizen of the Year application to tell us about yourself, and share the following information to show why you are the Global Citizen of the Year:
- Summarize: In 150 words or less, explain what makes you IES Abroad's Global Citizen of the Year.
- Personal Statement: A 1-2 page statement that further details the following:
1) How You've Changed the World Through Study Abroad - The contributions you made that impacted your local community while abroad.
2) How the World & Study Abroad Have Changed You - The lessons you learned not only about yourself, but also about the local community in which you lived.
3) How You'll Sustain or Continue Your Impact - Your plans to sustain or continue your impact once you've returned from abroad.
If selected as the Winner or a Finalist, this Personal Statement will be used in Global Citizen of the Year Award Winner Features.
- Headshot & Photos from Abroad: A clear headshot and three photos from abroad with captions. Photos from abroad will ideally connect to your personal statement and what makes you the Global Citizen of the Year. All photos should be hi-resolution (300 dpi).
- Original supporting documents (optional): You can also submit supporting documents to show your global citizenship. Examples include but are not limited to a blog from abroad, research documents, news coverage, and more.
You must be a student who has completed an IES Abroad or IES Internships program in 2017 in order to be eligible for this award.