Celebrate IES Abroad's 70th Anniversary in Vienna!
IES Abroad is turning 70 and we want to celebrate with you! Join us from April 2-5, 2020 for a weekend of unforgettable activities, from exclusive tours and educational lectures to a grand Viennese ball! Alumni and families from all classes and Centers are welcome.
This is a weekend you don't want to miss! Note: Space at individual events is limited. Register early for best selection.
Schedule of Events*
Thursday, April 2, 2020
- 10:00am - 11:30am | Lecture | Great Composers of Vienna, Metro Kinokulturhaus: Music history lecture by IES Abroad Vienna Center Director and musicologist, Dr. Morten Solvik. Suggested tour sites will be shared in advance.
- 11:30am - 2:30pm | Private Tour | Kunsthistorisches Museum: Led by IES Abroad Vienna faculty member. (Arrive by 11:30am to allow time to purchase additional museum admission ticket on-site) | (museum admission ticket not included in price)
- 12:00pm - 1:30pm | Lecture | History of Opera | Metro Kinokulturhaus: Lecture by staff member and alumna Gretl Satorius (Vienna Fall '04). Suggested tour sites will be shared in advance
- 2:00pm - 5:00pm | Private Tour | Kunsthistorisches Museum: Led by IES Abroad Vienna faculty member. (Arrive by 2:00pm to allow time to purchase additional museum admission ticket on-site) | (museum admission ticket not included in price)
Evening: Dinner with your class or other alumni. Pay on-site.
Friday, April 3, 2020
- 9:30am - 11:30am | Open House | IES Abroad Vienna Center, Palais Corbelli: Take a tour of the Center and learn about IES Abroad Vienna through the decades. Meet students and staff and view materials from your class year in the IES Abroad Vienna archives! Water, coffee, tea provided | Complimentary
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm | Lecture | The Business of Wine in Austria From Vine to Glass, Palais Corbelli: Educational lecture and tasting at the Center with IES Abroad faculty member, Professor Manfred Winkler
- 2:30pm - 3:30pm | Private Tour | Palais Liechtenstein: Educational lecture tour led by Palais Liechtenstein docent
- 3:00pm - 4:30pm | Lecture | The Business of Wine in Austria From Vine to Glass, Palais Corbelli: Educational lecture and tasting at the Center with IES Abroad faculty member, Professor Manfred Winkler
- 3:30pm - 4:30pm | Private Tour | Palais Liechtenstein: Educational lecture tour led by Palais Liechtenstein docent
Open for attendees to take advantage of one of many performing arts events in Vienna. Check websites for complete listings and tickets:
Saturday, April 4, 2020
- 9:00am - 10:00am | Architecture Walking Tour | 1st District, Departs from St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom) and ends at Kinokulturhaus: Led by Gretl Satorius (Vienna Fall '04)
- 11:00am - 12:30pm | Lecture | Divided it Fell: Extreme Nationalism, Socialism, and Anti-Semitism in the First Austrian Republic, 1918-1938, Lessons for the 21st Century?, Kinokulturhaus: Lecture by Dr. Bruce Pauley (Vienna '57-'58, Recipient of the Austrian Cross of Honour for Arts and Sciences)
- 7:00pm - Midnight | IES Abroad Ball at the Vienna City Hall (Rathaus)
Join us in Vienna's magnificent Rathaus Ballroom for a magical evening of music, dancing, and celebration! IES Abroad music student and alumni orchestra will lead an evening of entertainment.
Hosted by Dr. Morten Solvik, IES Abroad Vienna Center Director and Master of Ceremonies, together with Dr. Mary Dwyer, Anniversary Weekend Host, CEO and President of IES Abroad.
Cost: To be announced (includes full buffet and beverages, waltzing lessons, opening and closing dances by IES Abroad students, photographs, souvenir program)
Attire: Black tie for gentlemen and full-length dresses for ladies encouraged
Recommended tuxedo and dress rentals:
Sunday, April 5, 2020
- 10:00am - 12:00pm | Walking Tour of select trails in the Vienna Woods: Led by Robert (Bob) Juppe (Vienna Fall '80)
*Schedule is subject to change. Meet at event locations, transportation is not provided.
Attendees make their own travel and lodging arrangements and are encouraged to add time in Vienna before or after the celebration. Download our Return to Vienna Guide when planning your trip:
Did you study abroad in a year ending in 5 or 0? If so, it's your reunion year!
Let us know if you studied abroad in a year ending in 5 or 0 and we will help organize a reunion for your class during the weekend!
Submit your story to the Class Book!
Contact Jennifer Jerzyk for more information:
- 1959-60 | 60th Anniversary Reunion
- 1958-59 | 60th Anniversary Reunion
- 1964-65 | 55th Anniversary Reunion
- 1964-65 | 55th Anniversary Reunion
- 1966-67 | 54th Anniversary Reunion
- 1970-71 | 50th Anniversary Reunion
- 1969-70 | 50th Anniversary Reunion
- 1971-72 | 49th Anniversary Reunion
- 1980-81 | 40th Anniversary Reunion
Classes Celebrating Milestone Reunions:
Contact Jennifer Jerzyk:
1955 | 65th Anniversary Reunion
1960 | 60th Anniversary Reunion
1965 | 55th Anniversary Reunion
1970 | 50th Anniversary Reunion
1975 | 45th Anniversary Reunion
1980 | 40th Anniversary Reunion
Contact Amy Hollands:
1985 | 35th Anniversary Reunion
1990 | 30th Anniversary Reunion
1995 | 25th Anniversary Reunion
2000 | 20th Anniversary Reunion
Contact Adrianna Saccone:
2005 | 15th Anniversary Reunion
2010 | 10th Anniversary Reunion
2015 | 5th Anniversary Reunion