Each year, IES Abroad sponsors one or more trips to familiarize Member and Associate Member coordinators, administrators, and faculty members with our study abroad programs. Study abroad coordinators have the opportunity to nominate themselves or their colleagues to participate in these trips. IES Abroad covers the majority of the associated costs, with participants making only a small financial contribution. Trips include the cost of travel to the host city, accommodations, most meals, group activities, and all local transportation.
Dates: June 14-19, with optional Girona field trip (June 19-21)
Extended! - Nomination Deadline: March 16, 2015
You may think you know what it’s like to live and learn in Barcelona with IES Abroad, but there’s only one way to find out what it’s really like—experience it for yourself! Better serve your students by learning first-hand about the six programs available at our Barcelona Center.
While on this familiarization trip, you will:
- Meet IES Abroad faculty, staff, and current students, and tour IES Abroad’s facilities and partner universities
- Visit at our housing options, and enjoy dinner with a homestay family
- Go to internship placement sites, and shadow students participating in local field placements
- Explore Barcelona through our unique DiscoverIES cultural activities led by IES Abroad Barcelona professors. These activities help students get to know the city, its most important sights, buildings, history, and how to become part of the Spanish and Catalan culture. It also provides students the opportunity to get to know each other and our Barcelona staff and professors in a more relaxed environment. Possible DiscoverIES visit to Cava Vineyard, and a wine tasting or cooking class (tapas workshop)
- Go on an optional three-day DiscoverIES trip to Girona. All participants join the first day with return from Girona on the train, or have the option to stay with the students for two additional days (additional cost below).
Cost: Members $1,000; Associate Members $1,300.
Full Girona field trip, add $250.00.
NOMINATION & SELECTION PROCESS
To apply for a familiarization trip, please email the following materials to AcademicPrograms@IESabroad.org. A selection committee will meet to review applications and choose participants.
- Familiarization Trip 14-15 Nomination Form
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor, department chair, or other college official is required for nominations other than the department head of study abroad
IES Abroad is pleased to offer this familiarization trip opportunity to our Member and Associate Member institutions. Preference will be given to staff from institutions that actively support and send students to a variety of IES Abroad study abroad programs. For further information about the nomination or selection process, contact IES Abroad via email at AcademicPrograms@IESabroad.org.
PAST FAMILIARIZATION TRIPS
- Business Studies at IES Abroad Paris BIA and Milan Centers
March 8-14, 2015
- IES Abroad Istanbul, Turkey
May 4-10, 2014
- IES Abroad Kunming, China
March 9-16, 2014
- IES Abroad Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
November 10-16, 2013