Each year, IES Abroad offers development seminars for faculty members from the IES Abroad Consortium. Seminars are sponsored by an IES Abroad Center or jointly sponsored by IES Abroad and an overseas or U.S. institution. IES Abroad Faculty Development Seminars are designed to bring together U.S. faculty, international faculty, and local experts for an intellectual exchange of ideas. From language pedagogy workshops to seminars that explore recent changes in the E.U., IES Abroad seminars explore a wide-range of academic topics and attract many experts.
Summer 2015 Seminars
Check back soon for details!
Participation Fee Seminars
IES Abroad will cover the cost of international airfare (restrictions apply), accommodations, ground transportation within the country, most meals, and entrance fees for group activities. Participants are responsible for the cost of some meals, personal expenses, and incidentals. IES Abroad will work with schools whose policies require them to pay the full cost of site visits.
Seminar nominees must be full-time professors at IES Abroad Member or Associate Member institutions. Nominees must be able to demonstrate that they are actively engaged in teaching and/or research on topics relating to the specific seminar theme. Participants are invited to submit proposals to present current research or course lectures on these topics.
Why support participation in an IES Abroad Faculty Seminar?
- The small group format (typically no more than 20 participants) allows for very active exchanges and debates
- All participants have the oportunity to present a paper or take part in a panel discussion
- Site visits to local, regional or international sites of interest are an integral part of faculty seminars
- The seminars involve local faculty and experts, which allow for rich international exchanges and lasting relationships with faculty in like fields
- Through visits to the IES Center and discussions with IES faculty and staff, participants gain a better understanding of and insight into study abroad and IES programming
Nomination and Selection Process
We invite study abroad coordinators, academic deans, and department heads to nominate a faculty member for Faculty Development Seminars.
To apply for a faculty development seminar, please email the following materials to AcademicPrograms@IESabroad.org. A selection committee will meet to review applications and choose participants. Each institution may submit one nomination only.
- Nomination Form - check back soon for the 2015 edition!
- A nominating letter, which should come from the appropriate dean or college official. This letter should confirm your school's willingness to make a financial contribution on behalf of the participant.
- A letter of reference by a knowledgeable academic peer commenting on the nominee's academic bona fides relating to the purposes of this seminar. This letter should be enclosed with the nomination letter.
- A letter by the nominee outlining the anticipated value of the seminar to the nominee's teaching and/or research, in addition to the nominee's C.V., and noting any topics of special interest in the seminar on which he or she is willing to speak, discuss, or present a paper.
A selection committee will meet to review applications and choose seminar fellows. The committee will seek a balance of academic and field interests among the candidates.
For further information about the nomination or selection process, contact IES Abroad at AcademicPrograms@iesabroad.org.
- Sexuality and Gender in a Multicultural World
IES Abroad Amsterdam; July 6-12, 2014
- Paradise Lost? Challenging Perspectives on a Changing Europe
IES Abroad European Union; June 30 - July 14, 2013
- Second Language Research Symposium
IES Abroad Madrid, Spain; June 10 - 14, 2013
- The King's Speech: Power and the Transformation of Media in the 21st Century
IES Abroad London, England and Milan, Italy; May 21 - 27, 2012
- Conflict Transformation in the 21st Century: Meeting the Other
IES Abroad Rome, Italy; May 28 - June 8,2012
- Leadership Across Cultures
European Union (Freiburg, Germany) and Barcelona, Spain; June 9 - 17, 2012
- Comparative Health Studies: The U.S. & Chile
IES Abroad Santiago; June 2011
IES Abroad and its overseas partner institutions are pleased to offer these faculty development opportunities to our Member and Associate Member institutions, whose staff is highly involved in IES Abroad programming.