My Top Study Spots (and Study Breaks) in Granada

carmen miller headshot
Carmen Miller
A wall showing a multicolored mosaic tile pattern typical of Islamic architecture

This semester, my midterms were spread out over the course of three weeks, which was great because I could divide up my studying much more easily than usual, but it also meant the midterm season felt really long. And as is usually the case with spring break, the last week before Semana Santa was especially busy in terms of schoolwork. While I usually do most of my homework in my room or at the IES Abroad center, this three-week stretch of midterms pushed me to find other places around the city to study so I can be productive without feeling too cooped up. Below are a few of my favorite places to study or take a break from studying (or both!)

• Biblioteca de la Facultad de Derecho: This sleek, modern library, located in the University of Granada’s law school, is a great place to go when you need to buckle down and get work done. The quiet, studious atmosphere and reliable wifi make this library one of my favorite places to just churn out work. Although it can get a bit boring, the Facultad de Derecho’s botanical garden is right outside for when you need a break, and this time of year all the flowers are blooming.
  • Parque García Lorca: On a nice day, the gorgeous Parque García Lorca is a great place to spend time. I’ve enjoyed bringing snacks and finding a quiet spot to settle down and read or write. Because the park attracts lots of people engaging in all kinds of outdoor activities, it’s also a great people-watching spot when a brain break is in order. 
  • Café Baraka: This café, located near the cathedral, has a great selection of tea, coffee, and snacks. While it can get busy at times, I’ve found that the space still feels chill, which is nice for when I need to work but don’t necessarily want to. The wifi is pretty consistent, and as long as it’s not super busy the staff are generally happy for you to hang out while you work. The fresh juices and the carrot cake are also excellent motivators! 
  • Librería Babel: This bookstore is much more a study break than a study spot (there isn’t really anywhere to sit), but they have a huge collection of books in all genres, so I’ve enjoyed browsing the stacks when I need to look at something other than whatever piece of schoolwork I’ve been staring at. There’s just something about a bookstore that I find helps reset my brain. The staff are really friendly and happy to make recommendations or help you find something specific, and I’ve enjoyed finding some of my favorite books in translation and discovering new ones. I'll add to this bullet point that there are tons of amazing bookstores in Granada and it's definitely worth exploring as many of them as possible. 
  • Cafetería Alhambra and Churrería Alhambra: Conveniently located on Plaza Bib-Rambla, Cafetería Alhambra is one of my favorite breakfast spots in Granada. The thick, decadent chocolate and the crispy tostadas are perfect for fueling a study session or a school day, and the churros are wonderfully crispy. Alternatively, if you’re in a hurry or just want a quick snack, grab churros con chocolate to go from Churrería Alhambra, their take-out branch, and people-watch on the plaza or snack on the way to your destination.